IntroductionIn this lesson, we will learn how to divide integers. Remember the following key points for division of integers:
- Integers are distributed in 2 categories: positives and negatives
- Integers are whole numbers
- Zero is neither a positive or negative number
- If the signs are the same the quotient will be positive
- If the signs are different the quotient will be negative
Figure 1 Division of Integers Number Line
Division of IntegersLet's say that we have the following problem:
(-100) / (-25)
From the above key points, we know that if the signs are the same the quotient will be a positive number.
In this case we have two negative numbers so we will have a positive result.
Since the sign has been determined, we can now do simple division:
100/25 is 4 because 4 x 25 = 100
That means the quotient is +4.
(-100) / (-25) =